Welcome

Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Crafty Tip #1

Well here we are again only a few weeks away from the exciting celebratory times of the Handmade Craft Market’s 3rd birthday. I for one cannot wait!


I’ll be bringing to you blog posts on a few techniques that can be used in your craft making in the lead up to the market, just as a slight change of pace, something that could help with making stock, something that might interest you or something you might be able to pass onto a friend. 

Some tips will be craft specific, while others will be a tad broader to cover the great collective of those who create.

This week I want to talk to you about one of my all time favourite methods for quilting – this technique can also be used in other forms of sewing but is most common in patchwork.

Chain-piecing.

This method of piecing is fast, efficient and saves thread. What more could you want really?

Well it does require a small bit of preparation and a dash of thinking ahead and by that I mean you need to have everything cut and laid out next to your machine so you can sew as efficiently as possible making the technique as effective as it can be.

So here’s a brief run down of what I’ve done –

Firstly I chose my fabrics, pre-washed and ironed them. Then I chose a 60degree triangle template that I had in my stash of handy gadgets. I cut my fabrics into strips that measured 4 1/8in wide (to accommodate my triangle template). Then I set to cutting out oodles and oodles of triangles. Oh my poor rotary cutter!


The best part is laying out all of your neatly cut shapes in a pretty pattern next to your machine.

Then I started chain piecing - laying one triangle on top of another and stitching 1/4in from the raw edges with my 1/4in foot.

The best way to keep the design straight in your head and neat while you work is to keep it next to your machine.

 Keep chain piecing until all of your triangles are in pairs and then start to join the rows together, chain piecing them as well.

Nice long length of chain pieced sections.

When you have pieced together all of the sections to make rows of triangles, head over to the ironing board and press the seams in one direction.

Layout your design again just to double check that everything is in the right place and then pin the rows together ready to be pieced.

Stitch until all the rows are joined together - this can also be chain pieced.

Press the seams on each of the rows (no particular direction this time, just not open seams).

Once all the rows are pieced and ironed you are ready to baste, quilt and then bind your quilt.

Don't forget to label your quilt so the lucky recipient knows who made it!



To see the finished quilt at the Handmade Craft Market on the 31st of August make sure you pop by the Frankenstein's Fabrics stall and see me, Marni. 



1 comment:

  1. Love Selling Handmade at the markets especially quilts - there is just so much work involved that each quilt has meaning in and of itself.

    ReplyDelete